Saturday, July 17, 2010

What's On My Mind

I was thinking about Facebook today, in particular about how difficult it is for me personally to post what's on my mind. Quite often when I'm on Facebook, there really isn't anything on my mind. If there was, I probably wouldn't be on Facebook.

There are other times, though, when I'm hesitant to post what's actually on my mind. These are the times when what is on my mind is somewhat weighty, and posting it to Facebook seems somewhat frivolous. Often these are matters of faith or morality, and quite frankly I'm just not sure that Facebook is the place to address them.

Please don't get me wrong. When I see friends post snippets of scripture or hymns, or just little expressions of praise for our Lord; I find these posts encouraging. As for myself, I'm just not wired that way. I want to take the deep dive, I want to get into the details.

So, while thinking about the appropriate place to post what's on my mind, I remembered that I created this blog over a year ago with the intention of posting just these kind of thoughts. I didn't follow through for several reason, including in no particular order procrastination, the experience of a bit of spiritual desert and doubts about whether there was really any point in the first place. Regarding the latter, quite frankly, there are numerous other people discussing the same issues that I find myself considering. Many of these individuals do so quite elegantly and with a greater depth of knowledge and personal experience.

For whatever reason, despite the wealth of other voices to be heard, I'm coming to the conviction that there just may be a point to following through with my original intention. We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. John, I agree that FB stuff posting you don't want to show way too much of yourself and it is frivolous. I don't want everyone to know me and I rather comment on others than post unless I'm really glad, happy about something and it's not too personal either.

    ReplyDelete